Monday, October 8, 2007

I'm going to be a daring baker

Hebrews 6:12 "We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised."

Now this might sound underwhelming to a great many people, but I am really excited about it. It's something that can add a level of challenge to my life that won't do me in. It's nothing like getting a Th.M. and having to write a 150 page thesis and take a frightfully stressful oral exam. I've always imagined that I could maybe bake just about anything. It's funny, but what seems really scary in baking is having to deal with very hot sugar. But I bet I could handle it. I've made creme caramel many times. But I've never spun sugar.

I've been accepted to the Daring Bakers, but I have to prove myself before I can get on to the blog list. They post a new challenge each month, visible only to daring bakers, and you have a month to complete the project, at which time you post the pictures of your results. They don't disqualify you if what you made looks like a bit of a dissaster. I was perusing the results of one of the projects and several bakers results looked like they didn't quite get it, or like they couldn't handle a certain tecnique. What matters is that they attempted it. I remember my first pavlova. I made it in Hong Kong in April in an un-air-conditioned appartment. Can't be done. It was basically unedible. I made it later in the US and it was terrific.

The head 'daring bakers' are Yvonne of "Cream Puffs in Venice" http://creampuffsinvenice.ca/ and Lisa "La Mia Cucina" http://llcskitchen.blogspot.com/. I would make thier names link, but I can't figure out how to do it. The directions given do not produce the desired results. Cream Puffs is in Canada and La Mia seems to be in California. I find it so amazing that a group of people from all around the world can come together and do something. Several people on the blog list http://daringbakersblogroll.blogspot.com/ have sites that I have admired for a long time. One that's missing, however, is Chocolate and Zucchini http://chocolateandzucchini.com/ , but I think she is probably too busy with her new books.

No comments: