Thursday, February 14, 2008

Apple Pie and Chocolate Cookies

1 Corinthans 13:4-7

Love is patient,
love is kind.
It does not envy,
it does not boast,
it is not proud.
It is not rude,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil
but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects,
always trusts,
always hopes,
always perseveres


Valentimes Day started out a bit shaky. Emily arrived very very sick. Heidi handed her to me and she looked up at me with a very sad little face, snuggled up and went to sleep. She didn't want to eat. She didn't even want to stand on her feet. We went down stairs and we sat on and watched Sesame street for a while, and then when Elmo's world was over (that's her favorite part of Sesame Street) I layed her down on the couch and she went straight to sleep. That was a first. I didn't need to sing or anything. She slept for about an hour and then was very very fitful when she woke up. As I cuddled her I realized that she was even hotter than when I had put her down, so at that I decided that she needed to see the doctor. Heidi made an appointment straight away, leaving just enough time for me to really hustle. Tom was supposed to have been to my house by that time to collect Emily, as his parents are in town, but of course he wasn't there yet. By the time I arrived at the doctors office - about 11 miles away - Heidi was there. She usually doesn't take Emily to the doctor, but I guess this time she was quite concerned. At that I left to go home. I would have liked to have had lunch with Riley, but I could not get a hold of him. It turned out he had turned off his phone sound. How useful is that!


So I was by myself for most of the afternoon. At least I can't remember anyone else. It was actually sunny! We have had the most abysmal weather this winter. Rain, rain, rain. And when it's not rainy it's cold or windy and most certainly cloudy. So having sun was delightful. I knew that Riley had made dinner reservations somewhere at 7:30. The girls were trying to plan a little Valentines event at Green Gables, but it was having a hard time coming together. I know that in the end Tom had the kids, Corey worked until 7, and Tia even later, so Heidi took Annie to Trader Joes. Tom was supposed to bring the kids back at 7, but it was 9:15 when he showed up.

But anyway, with knowing I wasn't leaving the house until 7 I was a bit slow. I knew I wanted to get an apple pie made for Riley for Valentines Day, but before I could do that I wanted to have the kitchen really clean. That took longer that expected because when people to a so so job of cleaning the kitchen, which is the usual way often, then the hard stuff is left to clean. But I persisted and by 5 o'clock I was almost done, and that was when Riley showed up, which was such a pleasant surprise. We had a wonderful time in the kitchen, with me cooking and Riley doing I'm not sure what, but he was there. Since he was there before I started the pie I asked him what kind of apple pie he would prefer and he chose the rustic apple pie.



Rustic Apple Pie

I remember coming up with this recipe, but I can't remember the motivation. It's basically a somewhat small apple pie.

pie crust:


1 1/3 cups flour (about 6 ounces)
4 ounces cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup ice water

filling

5 green apples, peeled, cored, and sliced cross-wise
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour

butter for dotting the course
2 tablespoons milk or cream
some sugar for dusting

Preheat to oven to 375 degrees. The crust can be made in a food processor or a bowl. Mix the flour, salt and sugar, then cut in the butter until the flour looks like cornmeal. Drizzle the iced water over the flour mixture and stir in with a fork if using a bowl, or short pulses if using the food processor. If you have used the f.p. dump the mixture into a bowl. Using you hands press down on the mixture until it forms a solid blob. Put onto a large piece of plastic wrap, wrap up, and mold into a nice flattish disk. Chill for about 15 minutes if you like, or if you're in a hurry, like I can be, just go to rolling out. I like to first lay out a piece of waxed paper, then I unwrap the dough and cover it heavily with flour. Roll out the dough as big as possible on the waxed paper. It will be bigger than the paper. Using the waxed paper, lift up the disc and flip it over onto a pie plate.

Now mix the dry ingredients for the filling and pour it over the apples and give the a good toss to cover. Put the apples into the crust, dot with butter, and fold up the excess dough up over the apples, press down a little to make tidy. Put the milk or cream and using a wadded up piece of plastic wrap, dab the milk onto the dough and sprinkle with sugar. I like to use a slightly course sugar. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes. Part way through the cooking check on the pie to see if it's browning too fast. If so, place a square sheet of parchment paper over the pie. The pie isn't done until you can see the filling bubbling.



"Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid 
and durable happiness there is in our lives." 
C. S. Lewis

No comments: