Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Things are on the up side

Psalm 145:8-10 

The LORD is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and rich in love.
The LORD is good to all;
He has compassion on all He has made.
All You have made will praise You, O LORD;
Your saints will extol You.



Well it's so nice to have things looking up even if they aren't tippy top yet. I woke up this morning not feeling too bad, though I was coughing bad enough for Riley to make an appointment for me at the doctor at 10:30. Then Emily showed up still sick. Now this was upsetting, as she had spent most of the last three days with her Dad and I'm not too sure about how well he can handle a sick 1 1/2 year old. But on the other hand, it was sure good that she didn't have her usual compliment of energy, I don't think I would have handled it as well. Whatever I have it's the same thing Emily has.

The next good thing is that Heidi has decided to call off her relationship with the young man she's been dating. He is a nice guy, but just not the right person for Heidi. That sounds harsh, but it's true. I had thought that it would come to this sometime. Heidi came to realize that she mustn't hold herself responsible for other peoples feelings. She was trying too hard not to hurt him. But better sooner than later.

And then there's what's happening with Sarah. She was really stressed about a written exam she has to do for her Ph.D. But after a week of working on it she's gotten a long ways towards getting it done, and she does have six weeks to do it. Her big stress is that she can't turn in rough drafts to professors and get feed back. But she's getting a good handle on everything and feeling quite positive about it. So that was nice to hear.  I've always felt pangs of jealously when she talks about the good feedback she gets from her professors, because when I was doing my second master's degree I got NO feed back, no matter how often I asked for it.  And then in the end I was slammed mercilessly and the oral exam.  I headed into a den of wolves with no warning.  But I know that the PhD level wants to know that you can do the writing all on your own.  But even then, one has editors.  Maybe that's what I should do, send my thesis to an editor.  I could easily bump it u to more than it's 171 pages since I cut three chapters as it was.

Something that's not going so well is daughter number 2's complexion. She has trouble with her complexion for years, but since she moved away from home and in with her older sister it has gotten much much worse. So I told her that we would pay for the doctor and she MUST make an appointment IMMEDIATELY. So tomorrow Riley's going to call our doctor and make and appointment. I think that life in the twenties is so much harder than people admit to. You're not covered under your parents insurance and it's likely that you don't have you own insurance and doctors these day s don't like to take people when they don't have insurance. it's criminal and I think that the biggest criminals in this situation are lawyers. When I was in my twenties a doctor's appointment did not require insurance and the price was $4. And dentists were costlier, but affordable.


"The high destiny of the individual 
is to serve rather than to rule."
 Albert Einstein

No comments: