Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Big Family Dinner

John 15:17  "This I command you, that you love one another."


Well of course this wasn't as big as the picnic, but big none the less.  We ended up with 15 of us sitting at the table which is tight at 12.  We are thinking about getting a new table, though this will probably take a long time to find.  I do love the one we have, it's just not big enough.

The dinner started with Sarah and Zac inviting themselves to dinner.  I immediately thought that that would be a good time to also invite over my sister, her daughter, and my parents.  Then I thought that Ken and Marilyn might like to join us.  For some reason, no matter how many times I counted everyone I came up with 12, which is why I invited Ken and Marilyn.   They were part of the twelve.  I guess in future I better write the names of the guests down and then count them.



But also, we have decided that if all possible we would like to buy a new dining room table. We have already gone and checked out new tables at Versaille - my favorite French store. They have huge tables, which is quite interesting as this would indicate that the French are much more likely to have big dinner parties than the Americans. We are looking to get a table maybe 96-126" x 45". They had this one oak table from France in oak that was 96-127x39 that was very awesome, but it would cost $7,500, and that is quite a lot. The name of the table was "du mas", c'est chouette.


This is not the exact table, but it's the exact store.

But anyway, back to dinner on Saturday. I decided to make my meatballs in spicy sauce with spaghettis, and because I had cherries and rhubarb, I made two cherry rhubarb galettes, and because my Dad was coming I made a rustic apple pie. And to go with the dinner I made bread and salad. This seems like a simple meal, but I was at it for a long time. I don't understand - am I such a lame cook. I think I need to learn more about getting more things ready ahead of time.



Despite being crammed at the table, we all had a good time, including Emily, who very much likes noodles.



Then after dinner several of us went outside to put our feet in the pool, or at least to sit by the pool.



I was sitting on the edge of the pool with Emily when Riley came out. He looked at Emily and asked her if she thought Papa should go into the pool. She nodded her head, then all of a sudden I realized the Riley was going into the pool with ALL OF HIS CLOTHES ON! I couldn't believe it, and neither could Emily. She was absolutely shocked, as were we all. Turns out that Riley was feeling really hot and wanted to go into the water, but he didn't want to go all the way to the third floor to get his suit on, so in he went.


Here he is wringing out his socks.

We ended the evening by watching the start of the Olympics, which Annie had set for recording at 2 o'clock in the morning. We had a really good time doing that.

“The only reason for time is so 
that everything doesn't happen at once.” 
Albert Einstein

No comments: