Monday, July 28, 2008

A New Grandchild - Caleb

"But because My servant Caleb has a different spirit 
and follows Me wholeheartedly, 
I will bring him into the land he went to, 
and his descendants will inherit it."
Numbers 14:24

Today I have the day off. Tom is taking Annie and the kids to the beach. This worries me, but what can I do? So I was going to take my time getting up today, but Sarah called last night and asked if I would take her to her doctors' appointments. She didn't want to be driving just incase she was having contractions. "No problem. So what times the appointment." "You'll need to leave at 7:15." Just my luck. So I made an effort to get to bed at a reasonable time.

So today is in fact her due date. How like Sarah to have her first one right on time. Heidi had said the other day that what Sarah needed to do was to have a steak dinner the night before. Well it so happens that we had invited Sarah and Zac (and everyone else) over for barbecued steak last night. We had a wonderful time, though I didn't take any pictures - that was a mistake. It wasn't a fancy piece of meat, but it was tasty. Christian showed up without his Mom, because she was tired and Emily was stressing her. He didn't want to miss out on a steak dinner.

Riley barbecued the steak, Annie made roasted potatoes with garlic and lemon, I made a Greek salad, fresh green beans, and biscuits (at Sarah's request). I was going to make a summer fruit galette, but Sarah went off to the store to find marinated roasted garlic (for Zac) and they came back without the fruit because they said it was much too expensive. That is certainly the case of late. Here it is summer and you still can't afford to buy fruit!!! Unfortunately I can still remember watermelon at 2 1/2 cents per pound.

So at 6 o'clock I'm up, thinking I'd better take a shower, when the phone rings. As I immediately suspected, it was Zac telling us that I didn't need to take Sarah to the doctor, as she was already at the hospital having the baby. So as of this point in time (6:30) she's 6 centimeters dialated and doing fine.  It seems they left for the hospital at about 2:30.  So my guess is that our new grandchild will be born before 4:30 this afternoon.  I'm making that estimate on how things went for me.  

Yesterday Sarah looked like she was going to pop.  I asked if she was done and she said she most certainly was done.  She could hardly move.  So I'll write more when I know more.  They didn't want anyone to show up at the hospital until after the baby was born. Thou waiting around at home is not so easy.

So now it's 2:30 and still no word. This is enough to make a mother anxious. That makes 17 hours in labor and still counting. I always thought that Sarah would have an easy time of it, as her hips, though not fat, are wider than mine. But this is her first. It's so frustrating when there is nothing you can do but wait.

As an aside, Riley managed to get Christian into boy scout camp, which is next Sunday, when the family picnic at Dee is. The camp is on Mount Jefferson and the picnic is on Mount Hood. It will be a long day for us. I'm really hoping we can find someone for him to ride over there with. We will certainly go to pick him up at the end. But if we have to take him, that's okay.

Well it turns out that he doesn't want to go to camp. This is very worrisome. It seems to me that with the divorce of his parents he has sort of shut down from normal kid activity. He rarely wants to go play with a friend. So far we are going to be sending him to camp, but Riley's going to find out more about the activities. Christian is going to be going with his own troop, though I don't think he's comfortable with the older kids. But he is going to be in junior high, where there are a great many older kids.

I think maybe we will cancel his space at camp and not send him.  I feel very troubled about this, but then I remember that I did not like going to camp when I was 11.  I was very lonely and wanted to go home.  And as it turned out my whole family had spent the time at our cabin in the woods while I was at camp and I didn't get to go to the cabin that summer.  I loved being at the cabin.  It was a log cabin with only a light bulb and sometime a spigot with cold running water sometimes which I think drained into a bucket.  The cabin was completely washed away b a huge flood when I was 18.  The river now runs through its spot.  My Dad had sold it only a few months before the flood.

We waited on pins and needles all day to hear what was up. As a mom I was very concerned because the labor was taking so long. Finally at some point Riley actually called the hospital, since calling on Zac's cell phone didn't elicit any response. Of all things Sarah answered the phone. She had become very tired so they gave her an epideral so that she could sleep for a while. It turns out that both Zac and Sarah slept for about 4 hours. Then finally, at about 4 o'clock Zac called to say that they were finally coming to the end of things. So we promptly got into the car and headed for the hospital, which was about 12 miles away. We figured that surely the baby would have arrived by then.

We worked our way to the labor and delivery area (the hospital is HUGE), and were told "not yet". As we headed back to the waiting area Heidi was coming down the hall with a beautiful bouquet of roses for Sarah. We weren't in the waiting area long when the Enochs arrived - Laura and Ken and Chase and Arie and Jude.

We waited and waited and waited. Occasionally someone would go check (usually that would be me), but no one knew anything. Around 6:30 Annie and Christian and Emily arrived. And to everyones great relief shortly there after Zac comes on the scene looking ever so proud. Finally .... Caleb had arrived. And Sarah was fine and Zac was fine and Caleb was fine.

Laura and I had thought that the small children couldn't go in to see Sarah and the baby, but that was not the case. They just needed to be supervised. Well that was a no-brainer. But for starters all the adults save Riley and Chase went to see Caleb and Sarah. Then soon after Riley and Emily came in, then Chase and Arie. The only person who never came in was Jude, but he's only just over a year old.

Emily was rather confuse by it all, but eventually she caught on and declared "Baby!"

"Now the thing about having a baby 
- and I can't be the first person to have noticed this 
- is that thereafter you have it."
Jean Kerr

No comments: